Thursday, July 18, 2013

Steak and Caramelized Onion Taquitos

It's cheat day y'all! This means that I have been on my very best behaviour for a whole week and I can indulge in something that is less than healthy. Fair enough, right?

Oh and by the way, in case you were wondering where I have been (and why I haven't been blogging), I started a new job! I got a job at a beautiful local B&B, I don't have a job title I just work my butt off and do whatever needs to be done around the joint, whether it is paperwork, cooking, cleaning, or even organizing. There are about 60 stairs I go up and down a couple of dozen times each working day and by the end of the summer I am going to be a goddess. Who even needs to do Brazilian Butt Lift?!

ANYWAYS, here I am now and I have made a treat: Steak and Caramelized Onion Taquitos.



Recipe Adapted from: Life's Ambrosia

My Rating: 4 out of 5

Changes I made: I used flour tortillas because I couldn't find any corn tortillas (which made me very sad). I also used a leftover steak I had on hand so I didn't use any spices from the original recipe.

Things I will change next time: I think I will add some chopped cilantro and maybe a chipotle pepper.

Will I make this again? Absolutely


Ingredient List:
- 1 grilled steak
- 1 red onion
- 2 cups shredded pepperjack cheese
- 8 flour or corn tortillas
- Canola Oil



This recipe is really easy and can be summed up in 5 steps: Slice, Cook, Fill, Fry and Enjoy!

Step 1: Slice

Take your grilled steak and your onion (I used a red onion) and slice them thinly



Step 2: Cook                                                                                                                                            

Add the butter to a frying pan and allow it to melt over medium heat. Add onions and cook until them they are soft and fragrant. Next add in the steak and quickly reheat it.         
                                                     


Step 3: Fill                                                                                                                                                  

Lay out your tortillas on a (clean) counter and top with some of the cheese and the onion and beef mixture. Then fold one side of the tortilla over, fold the adjacent side over, and secure with a toothpick so you don't  have taquito guts flying about when you are frying these bad boys.                                                                 


Step 4: Fry                                                                                                                                                  

Fill a wide frying pan with just enough oil to cover the bottom completely. Heat over medium heat until hot. Place the taquitos in the oil and fry for about 30 seconds on each side, until golden brown.



Step 5: Enjoy                                                                                                                                               
You have created something wonderful, enjoy it alongside a nice big salad and some kind of dipping sauce such as salsa, sour cream or guacamole.                                                                                                    















0 comments:

Post a Comment