Monday, August 19, 2013

Mediterranean Smothered Chicken

Holy YUM.

This chicken is SO amazingly delicious and healthy and if that wasn't enough it is pretty, so so pretty. The original recipe suggested serving it with pasta which would be really tasty but we had pasta last night so I didn't do so.  I imagine it would also be quite tasty with a nice crusty bread that you could use to sop up the luscious sauce left on your plate (unless you lick it clean, I don't judge).

Recipe Adapted from: Iowa Girl Eats

My rating: 5/5 , I will definitely be making this again.

Changes: I did make a few modifications here. First of all, I omitted the capers because they're stinky and gross (or maybe I just dislike them). I also substituted the fresh basil with fresh flat leaf parsley, substituted the shallots for 1 large onion and roasted my own tomatoes (tomatoes, drizzled with EVOO, in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes) because I couldn't find the jarred ones for the friggin everloving life of me. The recipe below is not the original recipe and it reflects the changes that I made.



Mediterranean Smothered Chicken





 Ingredient List:

                                                                 
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
olive oil (to cook the chicken in)
salt and pepper to taste
1 large onion, diced finely
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 roma tomatoes, roasted
1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup chicken broth (preferrably low sodium)
1/4 cup half and half
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1/4 cup fresh parsley, pulvarized (I feel like this is the best word to describe what I did to it)




My mise en place* . Isn't she purdy?


Directions

1.) Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a skillet at medium high, add chicken breasts and cook until golden on both sides and cooked through.

2.) Remove chicken from pan onto a paper towel lined plate. Add the 2 TBSP of olive oil to the pan and once the oil is hot add the onion and sweat it. Once the onion is ready add the garlic and cook until fragrant, approximately 30 seconds. 

3.)This is where things get good. Reduce the heat to medium and add the artichokes, tomatoes, and lemon zest. Cook until everything is heated through and then add the broth and cream. Cook for one minute before adding the parsley, and then the lemon juice. Cook until just slightly reduced, about 2 minutes.

4.) Add the chicken back to the pan, or plate up the chicken and top with ( or "smother") the chicken with the contents of the pan. 


* Mise en place is french for put into place. This is when you have all of your ingredients out, measured and ready for you. This is very helpful with this recipe in particular because it moves along so quickly.

Bon Appetite!


0 comments:

Post a Comment