Monday, July 1, 2013

Chili ( For Hot Dogs)

If I didn't make changes to the man food we eat in this house to make it more waistline friendly by altering recipes and finding healthy recipes online I would probably weigh a metric tonne.

These coney dogs are the perfect example of this. You think of a coney dog and a caloric nightmare probably comes to mind. Not this time my friends. Making your own chili rather than buying the canned stuff saves you a lot of salt, sugar and fat, especially when you use extra lean ground beef (or even ground turkey or chicken if you'd like! ) and pair your chili with all natural hot dogs. 

I'm not saying that you should eat this for dinner every night, but it's a great weeknight meal that will leave everyone happy.



Recipe adapted from: Simply Scratch 

My rating for this recipe: A solid 5 out of 5.

Will I make this again? Yes, I have made it a couple of times and will make it several more.

What I changed about the original recipe: I measured out my celery salt and cayenne and used less ground beef.

What I will change next time: Not a thing.



Ingredient List:

- 1 medium onion, cut to small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 TBSP chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 14 oz tomato sauce


First you want to take your onion (already diced) and sweat it in a saucepan with a tablespoon of olive oil, over medium high heat. 


Once the onions have softened add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add in the ground beef, break into very small pieces and cook until completely browned. Once the beef is cooked drain any fat from the pain, add in the spices and the tomato sauce. It will look pretty saucy!




 Lower heat and simmer 15-20 minutes. What you will get will be a thickened chili with a deeper colour. 


Your chili is done now and is ready to be slapped between a bun with a freshly cooked hot dog and topped with any additional toppings you desire such as onions, shredded cheese, mustard and, if you're my three year old, ginger ale. 


You're welcome, men of the world.




0 comments:

Post a Comment